Jan 11, 2021

12 Rules for Life (A summary of Jordan Peterson's book)

Jordan Peterson is a difficult person to talk about, as he has lots of haters and lovers. Here, for better or worse, I do not plan to talk about his ideas like gender inequality.  My aim to so much more humble!




I heard of Peterson about 2 years ago for the first time and my first reaction was to search for his videos on YouTube. I found lots of debates, lots of videos of his courses in the university, and so on and so forth. I found his way of talking charming and beautiful in terms of the language he was employing (note that I am NOT a native English speaker!). I believe that writing speaks better than speaking; it transfers the message more clearly while giving more weight to the content than the language. You may fool people by talking in beautiful English but not that easily in writing. So, I searched for his books and started with “12 Rules for Life”.

To be honest, I loved the book! It does not mean that I confirm  100% of the contents. It does not mean that I do not find it strange that he only blames Mao and Stalin but not Lyndon B. Johnson for all he did in Vietnam. I felt close with his 12 rules and I liked the way he tries to justify it based on literature, bible and sometimes science. A friend of mine told me recently that this book is pseudo-science, and does not offer anything better than the cheap "road to success" books in the market. I agree that is it not science, strictly speaking, but this is not the point! If you give a rule for life, the relevant question to ask is if the rules are working or no, if by applying them you would live a better and happier life or no. If your answer is yes, I believe that almost no one cares whether the rules are scientifically-proven!

Anyway, with this small introduction, I will make a summary of each chapter here, in this document (updating continuously). My goal is to collect all the important points altogether. I review the chapters one-by-one and share my summaries here with you, and you can follow me on this journey!  



No comments:

Post a Comment